Evilhighway's Move (daily)

i did and it failed miserably lol

Had a play with the spare bonnet I have (Thankyou Hove’s) I made a small cold air intake for it. I just used things that I had laying around with the exception on a tube of sika flex. I cut a hole in the bonnet got some mesh and some metal strapping and sika flexed it all in and underneath I had an old ef/el air intake and chopped it so the air could be directed to the top of the move air box and simply cut a hole in the move air box.
Added some paint and there we have it a fun little project for upcoming track day.

5 Likes

I havent updated this for a long time but basically running a td04 turbo off this now and took it out to the drags last night. here is the vid on it and thankyou to @Luke for coming along and filming and making the Vid. I hope you all enjoy! We had a great night!

6 Likes

Soooo close to 16s! I think you’re going to walk Bertie bus on the straights on the trackday!

1 Like

here are my time slips for anyone interested.

4 Likes

can’t argue with those times :open_mouth:

I can my take off’s were really crappy hahahaha!

well after track day which was a hell of a lot of fun It is safe to say the my move is running out of rego towards the end of july. I wont be renewing the rego so the car will go from a daily to a track car for things I want to enter it into. I have a trailer that it fits on so it isnt an issue to get it to and from places and also my wife and I will be travelling for a few years hopefully in the future (in about ab year’s time).
After track day and getting to borrow some semi slicks for the day there is a few things I have now need to do to make my setup better a lot of the discussion can be found in @b_hoves thread of bertie bus.
One of the issue’s I had on track day is while I was under boost My catch can would be filled with oil and I would have to go about emptying it and 99% would just go back in the engine. I have got an idea to over come this while I am not on boost and I think it will work. I am going to use an old radiator overflow as my catch can and have it mounted higher than the block breatherand the hose going to the catch can is at the bottom sowhen not under boost gravity should put the oil back into the engine.

Onto suspension etc currently I have rsr low springs in the front and due to not knowing what spring rate it is I need to go back to using my mira king lowered springs as I know they are 130bs and for the rear I know I need much stiffer rear spring’s Being chap like I am I may just try to find a cheap set of commodore wagon or ute springs and cut them to size. May not be ideal but money is going else where currently so if cheap works the great, if not then I will see what I can do next.

I got out yesterday to have a look at the move and had a look at some gtvi strut top braces that bolt onto firewall and the side rail. On a move they don’t hit the firewall but do make it to the side walls. Even though It really hasn’t been advised to I thought I would try making the strut top brace with a few modifications and a square piece of steel tubing I was able to make the brace and it just in front of the firewall behind the intake manifold etc. I was originally going to weld the tube to the braces but instead I have decided to just bolt it. The reason for that is while it may add strength and stability I wanted it to also have the flex points of the bolts if it need’s it. Another big bonus is that it will be easier to take off if I can take it apart. I now just have to relocate some things a bit more so everything reaches where it should.

2 Likes

Nice! Any noticeable difference? a Move race car! I love that thought.

1 Like

no havent driven it yet. I did that late last night and have been lazy and not put evrything back together yet. Will let you know when I do take it for a drive.

1 Like

Inspired by @b_hoves I have put the gtvi seats in my move and they do sit lower but I can still see out the window’s so that is a bonus hopefully this takes away some of the pain I get when in my ankle when driving. I have to have my seat way forward and it makes me have my foot what feels like alomost 90 degrees on the throttle.
I also have put in a slightly bigger breather in the rocker cover and put in a new oil catch can.
as for seat belt clicky’s with the seats I havent decided which ones I want to keep in there yet hahaha!

8 Likes

Glad to be of inspiration. I haven’t picked which seatbelt clickers to keep either. I’m leaning towards the GTVi ones for the clean look.

1 Like

Today I swapped out the front shocks and springs that were in my mira and put them in the move. The shocks are sirion gtvi and the springs are mira kings. I dont have anything to measure camber with the exception of a spirit level bubble. I got the camber a touch on the negative side with the bubble just touching the outer line on each wheel. The gtvi shocks are really tall compared to the suzuki wagon r ones that I had in it. The move now has more like a rwd drag car stance than anything. I happened to find a complete set of springs from a 2008 ford ge 6 that I will be picking up this week for the measly sum of $20. I will see how these go and if they will work in the back of the move. At the moment it has rear cut springs from a suzuki cino. I am hoping I may be able to get these ok with a stiffer spring and a little bit taller than what I currently have. If they work then great and if not it is only $20. I may have to go back to the suzuki wagon r shocks also the ride height at the front is really tall but it is more soft with the mira kings than the rsr’s.

I didnt have a shoe handy so a brick for the shoe test seemed better. ( my tyres are only 155/55’s So I do have room for bigger tyres.

and these are the springs Im picking up.

3 Likes

4x4 stance!
Nice work on the rear springs for $20. They should be good.
I spoke to a suspension guy at the recommendation of MrG and he suggested finding a way to fit the coilover springs like the ones you listed in Bertie’s thread rather than getting custom kings done.

1 Like

yeh I think that is the best way also and was looking just to try something that would cost about $20-30 ($40 max) just to give a go before the modding of the rear. If it works fantastic. I did learn one thing is that putting up a post for commodore stock rear springs in a commodore group on facebook is such a bad Idea. (well locally for me). A week be I responded to an add about a guy wrecking a vs ute and he said I could have the springs for $30 then he took his add down and never again replied to me. I put my add up and tells me he has some springs for $40 which was the same springs he said I could have for $30 one week prior. Sarge had some for me but thought I would save the fuel money and see If i could get some local as they should be everywhere around here. The next guy seemed keen to get me some form his mates place. I figured helping his mate. I knew the house and got told to just rock up. I got a msg from original guy next morning saying he was there now and to come over. I was like yeh sure then thought wait how much does he want for these things. I asked and he wanted $80 or $50 if I took them off myself. Now I know I’m a tight ass but holy hell I could get a 2nd hand set of springs off ebay and have them delivered for less than $80, so I graciously said no thankyou and went on the hunt till I found the ones I am picking up tomorrow.
So I learnt 2 thing’s ( this is not to all holden commodore owner’s as I own one as a daily)

1. A lot of commodore owner’s are stupid
  2. They think other people are stupid.

Maybe its just the facebook population of commodore owner’s who know’s lol

3 Likes

I think it could be partly the location as well. I used to live south of Toowoomba in the Cambooya Shire and had a few falcondores for towing stuff around and work around the yard.
When buying those cars, who you dealt with ranged from people thinking you’re an idiot and trying to rip you off, to awesome people who, while a bit ‘country’, were a pleasure to deal with. Guess that can happen everywhere, but, I felt there was a higher % of dodgy out that way.

3 Likes

@b_hoves I 100% agreee

Ok so I got the springs today and by the looks of the front springs from the gc8 are going to be about spot on for what I need. If anything it maybe a little too stiff but will see how it goes. I do need to take a coil or 2 off them . 1 Coil is a definite so they will fit but I really think I should go back to the suzuki wagon r strut’s for the front and use the mira kings on those instead of the rsr’s. I had a proper look at the rsr’s today and they are a progressive spring in comparison to the king’s. That maybe why they were a bit stiffer when really pushing in the corner’s…
After I sort all that out I after I have to fix the dump pipe from the turbo as it is leaking, So I will use my thicker pipe and wel in a new section so I can get it more free flowing.

2 Likes

I played around with rear springs today and I actually like how the move looks atm I am waiting to drive it to see how it handles now but I think the back is definitely stiffer and the front sits a bit higher than the rear. I also made and hopefully fixed my dump pipe off the turbo and is now atleast 2 inch instead of stock mira size pipe.

5 Likes

Went out and got this running today I did a rope wheel alignment now that it is so tall and seems to be ok. I also had issues with the fan realy but seem to have that sorted. So after a little bit of driving this seems to handle better than before the strut bar seems to help also but different so I will need to get used to it but I can really feel the weight transfer in the corner’s now. The dump pipe being bigger well that has made a huge difference. Before when getting into 4th gear I could only boost to around 5 psi with this now I am getting 10 psi in 4th and it seems to have come alive alot more in the earlier gears also. I do have a little bit of a leak in the joiner (exhaust) but am not really to concerned but will need to attend to it I guess. The other issue I was having was an intercooler hose popping off. I have a temporary one on there at the moment which is thin and I dont think will last long so I best find a bit of radiator pipe that is the right size I guess and long enough,
All in all I am quite happy with it.

2 Likes