Hello from Virginia USA

Hello all!
Im new to the forum and love what I have seen so far. I guess i skipped ahead and posted some stuff before introducing myself. Sorry. I have used all kind of forums before for info but never really been a part of one so I’m kind of ignorant on them but am excited to be a part of this one.

My story…
Been a “car guy” since I can remember. Mainly big USA V8 kinda love. But I had a friend when I was 15 yrs old that had this weird little hatchback that was great on gas and you never saw another one on the road. I got the chance to buy it for $1000 in 1999. It was a 1990 charade 3cyl 5 speed with 90k miles. I absolutely loved it! I ended up giving it to my mom cause she needed a good ride but told her she could never sell it. She had to give it back when she was done. That happened about 6 years ago now. I used it to tow around the family for 3 years and then parked it for now. It sealed my love for these japanese marvels. Now I have managed to find 2 Rockys 1 i drive and 1 for parts. It is officially my favorite vehicle. 1.6l HD 5speed.
I tend to love the strange and unusual and in the US diahatsu anything is strange and unusual!
I am a little jealous of all the cool diahatsu stuff i see you all have access to over seas. In my part of the US i have literally only seen 4 daihatsus that I do not own! Haha.
Anyway…long winded I know but since there is little to no support in the US I am looking forward to being a part of this community.!! 13528728_290367498018042_2467031607356489371_n|690x38813620039_302643206790471_5205284195737138850_n13606523_302643220123803_2446928560358201809_n

6 Likes

13528728_290367498018042_2467031607356489371_n

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, nice looking roza’s you have there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice to have you, and those machines do look good.

1 Like

Hi mate welcome, cool to see some left hand drive one’s.

1 Like

hi mate welcome very nice american rocky’s you have there. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but this model here we call feroza’s. Rocky’s were before these one’s over here but I really do like the rocky badge on them it suits it better.

1 Like

Thanks man!
From the research I’ve done it depends on where they were shipped! Rocky, Feroza, i think fourtrack???maybe.
Like i said I am super jealous of all the daihatsu goodies yall got everywhere else in the world. All we got in the states that I am aware of is the charade 1.0l 5speed and the Rocky/feroza 1.6l 5speed. I have managed to get both. I did see a hijet mini truck on craigslist one time but didnt have the funds at the time to get it😭.

I would love to get my hands on a solid front axle Rocky like I see online but the freight would be ridiculous and the steering wheel would be on the wrong side. Hahaha

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, quite a change from an V8 to a Charade 3 cilinder :).

your rocky is a Feroza here in the Netherlands. we had both the feroza and the rocky here. feroza from 1990 til 1998 and was only available with the 1.6 you have as well.
the rocky was here longer, delivered from 1988 til 2003 and available with a 2.0 petrol, or a 2.8 non turbo diesel. later 1994 we also got it with a turbo diesel.

Great cars and still quite a few around including some special Bertone build ones with BMW engines.

O and here the steering wheel is on the correct side of the car :smile: so you could import form NL.

2 Likes

Thanks man. It is a little bit different but thats why I keep my old Chevy C10 chevy shortbed around. It has a Pontiac 6.6L (400c.i.) V8 with a 4barrel carb and a shift kit in the tranny. For the times you wanna roast the tires and disturb the peace with the dual exhaust ! :grinning:
You can see him peeking at me in the top of this pic. He is painted green so he hides in the brush

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums! Yes your ‘rocky’ was called a fourtrak in the UK, literally only heard of a rocky this morning, as far as I know the fourtrak was only available with a 2.8 diesel but I may be wrong

1 Like

Available in the UK with a 2.0 petrol (not sure on power output) and a 2.8D with 72-96Hp or 100Hp in the turbo diesel variant

1 Like

the the Fourtrak is actually the EU rocky, model F70 and named rugger in japan if i’m not mistaken.
the F300 is called the rocky in japan and north america and Feroza for most other export country’s except the UK where its called sportrak :smile: .

1 Like

Hahaha. It is so confusing it almost seems intentional. Seems they couldn’t have made it more confusing if they tried.

1 Like

So I’m in the UK so if I want a rugged off roader from daihatsu I should get a sportrak not a fourtrak?

1 Like

Im way over here in the states so I might be wrong but I believe in the UK the Fourtrak is the better for offroading. I believe they have the 2.8 turbo diesel and a solid front axel.
The sportrak is like mine. 1.6l gas/petrol independent front suspension. It does great offroad and I love it. But the turbo diesel has to make more power, which the 1.6 lacks a little, and the solid frond is harder to break.
Again not 100% you would have to ask the UK boys on here

Your right there, I know the way round the engines are, fourtrak is the 2.8 sportrak is the 1.6, either one are pretty cool, looking forward to seeing yours progress!

Wasn’t the sportrak the “H” series motor from the Applause/ Terios?

HD-E motor. 1.6l 4 cyl.
I may be wrong but I think the applause is a 1.3 4cyl. Slightly different motor but alot of interchangable parts. I’ve heard of a 1.3 head swap to a 1.6 motor as a mod.

There both 1.6l. The HD-e is from an applause and the hd-eg is detomaso.
I may be wrong with the model numbers.
Definitely both 1.6 though.
The heads are the same I’m pretty sure besides cam and inlet mani.
The compression ratio is way higher for the de tom.
Also factory extractors and so on plus the different ecu.
Comp is raised via pistons (9.5:1) and not so much head.
Someone will correct me I’m sure and hope as I’m not completely right with this info I think but from memory (faded) is about it.

2 Likes