James' Daihatsu Cuore L700 - SKD555

March 2020: Sometimes in life things happen and things come up, and despite being too good to be true, they aren’t. This has happened to me a few times now. I think about something, look for something, lose interest after finding nothing. Then like clockwork, I give up, and the ultimate thing presents itself to me.

Firstly why? I’ve owned a lot of cars in the last 5 years while owning my blue Cuore. And I’ve been in and driven so very very fast and more ‘special’ cars. But nothing puts a smile on my face like driving the Cuore. My friends always laughed at me, but I truly meant it when I said I would never sell it, and I wasn’t planning to. There was something always in the back of my head though. Most of the work I’ve done on my car has been great. But particularly in the early days, a lot of the stuff I’ve done, I did for the first time.

Now is that enough justification to get a new car, not really. However, something pretty special popped up.

This popped up on my timeline on Facebook and I knew I had to have it. This is a 1-owner, 2002 Daihatsu Cuore in an unfaded red. Its manual with AC and has only 31,000km on the clock. It has been garaged its entire life and has 18 years of service history. It’s dead stock and is completely original.

Me with the original owner.

So what’s the plan then, better believe it’s not staying stock. Some might think it’s silly to modify this, but quite frankly it’s my car and I want to. Also, I will be continuing this thread my journey is simply ongoing in a new chassis. Here’s a little comparison of the two cars currently.

So a mate and I wasted absolutely no time getting this swapped over. We quickly took the car for those above pics to get a snapshot in stock form, but it was back to my new garage to get started. I won’t go into insane detail of the mods as you’ve all mostly seen them.

We started off with the rear. Braided brake lines and coilovers in.

Front brakes.

Front coilovers.

Clear side indicators.

Wheels and tyres of course.

Lastly the seats, I didn’t realise how dirty the GTVI seats were, I’ll rent a cleaner soon and get that sorted.

Also gave the knob and handbrake a quick clean.

So happy already with how it looks. Quickly went out for some photos before we ran out of light.

So much more planned for this. Window tint is number 1 on the list to get done, its already booked for a week from now.

6 Likes

Wow, brilliant find. Very excited for you.

1 Like

That is an awesome find :+1: it is good so see it is going to someone who will appreciate and respect it (and maybe do burn outs in it :laughing:)…

1 Like

That car is absolutely mint! Very handy to just swap all of your upgrades and have a modified new car!

1 Like

Very nice and what is to become of the blue Cuore?

Being returned mostly to stock then will be sold on :frowning:

2 Likes

March 2020: Had a great time at a friend’s workshop fixing up a few of the little things on the car.

It started off easy with a quick service. Workshop tools are epic.

Filter and oil. Strangely, the car was heavily overfilled.

We popped it up to check a few things out, holy balls its clean under here.

The rear was a little low, so we quickly sorted that.

[

Handbrake adjustment and rear drum clean.

All wheels rebalanced and aligned.

Big issue I’ve had with the car is a hesitation on hard acceleration. I already knew this was likely the fact the car has been run on E10 its entire life. So we started with a good intake clean.

Much better.

Also thought it would be a good idea to get some injector cleaner in there.

Lenny also had a good look at the exhaust, in the spirit of doing everything properly. He’s going to do up a custom 2" stainless Catback system. All mandrel bent and tig welded, but that’ll be next week. Will likely do up an intake for a pod filter too.

3 Likes

Looks awesome.

I had my rear coils the same way you do (adjusters on the bottom) and I was told by the mechanic who did my wheel alignment they were upside down, which I had a nagging suspicion they were and this guy knows his stuff about suspension and was recommended by @Mr_Gormsby;
http://www.accuratesuspension.com.au/
It made perfect sense when he pointed it out and I put the lower rubber seat back on, had the adjuster up the top and then spun the coil around around to sit on the coil stop point that sticks up (orange arrows).

Mine without the lower rubber seat as I was cleaning them up;

Maybe have a look next time and see what you think - ever since I swapped them around they feel so much better. I am just awaiting the replacement upper and lower seats now.

Very interesting dude, I’ll look into it and maybe give the swap ago!

It makes sense the top has no stop point and just a flat rubber seat and the top of the adjuster is a flat plate, whereas the bottom has that obvious stop point where the coil butts against it.

Overall you car is looking awesome. Did you have any issues with the rear HEL brake lines seating?

Are those shock absorvers fit Sirion M100?

Zerone do a kit for the L700;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZERONE-ADJUSTABLE-COILOVER-SUSPENSION-KIT-FOR-DAIHATSU-CUORE-MIRA-L700-MOVE-L900-/153280612798

This is what kept niggling at me;

The coil end I could spin that any which way when I had it upside down and it was not seated. The concern here is the force will be applied up and down on the coil, as expected, but then there will also be this opposing force from the end point (it will push away/sideways from it’s end). Because I could rotate it any all which way this kept bugging me, I am not an Engineer and cannot give you the formula as to how it works but I am a scientist (across fields) and could see an issue but couldn’t resolve it. So when Ken said my coils were upside down because there is a ‘stop point’ it all made sense. The coil had a specific end point and the opposing force was towards the rear of the vehicle so it would not ‘kick out’ to either side instead aimed towards your rear and your forward motion.

I hope that makes a bit of sense? If you dropped a ‘hardened’ spring towards a solid, level ground it is going to bounce up and side-ways, now if you repeated that from a controlled platform so it was a level drop each and every time you will note that sideways bounce will be away from the coil end each time.

1 Like

I didn’t have an issue with it seating, I forgot to mention though. We did also work on the rear break line. I’m not sure if it was just my kit but the line was very tight. So we bent the bracket back so that it gave the line some more room to move, as the crimps are long and we were worried they would be fatigued.

1 Like

Where i can found the clear white fender signal lights?
Any item code to search it?
Thanks.

Yahoo Auctions japan would be your best bet mate!

Someone showed me this link and it is simple to become a member;
https://partsfan.com/daihatsu/jp/235e95847dd49f8780aec1d78c418354/cf4011cb6fe08388127c7b75366a8673/

You will have to determine if that Mira is the most suitable match for yours maybe review the Mira choices;
https://partsfan.com/daihatsu/jp/235e95847dd49f8780aec1d78c418354/

Here are the electrical parts for the unit I was using:
https://partsfan.com/daihatsu/jp/235e95847dd49f8780aec1d78c418354/cf4011cb6fe08388127c7b75366a8673/4/

If you are ever looking for engine parts you would have to try ‘Storia’ (aka Sirion) so you can select the EJDE 989CC Engine.

March 2020: Alrighty, been keen on doing this since getting the car. I honestly forgot how quiet these cars are stock. Despite having basically no sound deadening from stock the car feels like it is electric sometimes.

Finally though, its time for an exhaust. Now in the past on the blue car, I simply had the factory big muffler removed with a cheap hot dog resonator being added in its place. With a shiny tip of cause. As with the theme of the new car though, we’re doing it properly this time though. So I popped over to Hunterstreet Automotive to get it done.

Let start by looking at how yuck the old system is.

Time to rip it out, bit silly there isn’t a good centre flange on the exhaust, nothing a bit of cutting cant fix.

We reused the stock flange off the headers so there won’t be a need to use a flex joint.

For the pipe we decided to use 2 Inch, 409 stainless steel. All bends are mandrel and all joins will be tigged.

For the resonator, we used a quality and Australian built, Amron, 12x5 inch barrel muffler. This will give the car a deep note without to much rasp.

Let the work begin.

The final product.

Always great fun in the workshop on a weekend.

As per a fellow member’s recommendation, we also swapped around my springs in the buckets.

Honestly, this makes complete sense.

Also, I quickly swapped over the head units between the two cars.

Happy to see it has a proper mounting kit already.

Better than my previous setup lol.

My fascia is a bit hacked, I’ll look for another at some point.

Finishing up with some last pics.

13 Likes

Some awesome shots and great work on the car :+1:.

I love everything about this Cuore! The coilovers, the exaust, the audio head unit, the rims.

1 Like