Not quite track. Mr Gormsby's L200

What are those springs sitting in front of the Mira?

Awesome you got to take part in some racing activities :muscle:.
Keep up the good work

Came from cheap coil overs that were in a Mitsubishi Gallant VR4.

Weekend’s results to give you an idea of the cars in the comp http://www.hsccq.com/files/9715/1062/9749/Interclub_12-11-17_Results_Amended.pdf

1 Like

bat mobile?

It was a purpose built thing painted black. Made for motokhanas and khanacross.

1 Like

Some other Subbies in the competition. Porsche on your heel there :smiley:.
Aye, what a good handling car can acheive eh

2 Likes

It’s been quite a while not showing progress. Here are some pics Mick was after.

Extra sway bar mounts were added to stop flex under acceleration and braking. The location is not ideal and it is preferred that they mount on the centre line of the car, however, the swaybar/radius rod set up has a big bend in the middle. Ideally a new sway bar needs be made or proper radius rods fitted with separated sway bar.

4 Likes

So really nothing much has been happening with the car. A concerted effort went into expanding the workshop area. Some progress was made, but much more needs to be done. A huge amount of money went into some planning but that was all a waste (beware of architects - fool me).

I am ready to let the car go at this point due to feeling overwhelmed by to many projects. If anyone was interested in this car and the huge number of “good bits” that go with it then I am all ears. Thought process wise I can still assist with any development you would want to continue, I am just without the energy right now to do it myself. Perhaps all this will pass and I’ll get back onto things.

4 Likes

Oh maaaan, wish I was near to give a hand and some motivation

3 Likes

I have been away from the forums for a while, and just caught up with your build thread. Looks like old Gormsby needs a reminder of sorts:

“I wouldn’t count on old Gormsby going AWOL boys. I haven’t had a day of sick leave in my life. You won’t find me running off to the P.P.T. bloody A, going on strike, holding balloons, singing nursery rhymes so I can get a payrise, extra holidays, tangi leave…”

Hope you can find the motivation Mr G - I have had my struggles too getting motivated with the ITB project, it happens to all of us.

4 Likes

Thanks JC. Will still be a while before I am back on to the car. For now a big focus is creating working space and a better environment to work in.

6 Likes

Something left out from earlier in the build was removing the floor deadener. When exactly that happened is lost to history, but not the how it was done. While many readers may know of this the following technique, the information is for those that may not have seen “the trick”. The first picture shows on the rhs a jagged piece of deadener that has broken away, it also has a 10-12mm hole middlsh. Just to the left is a snow white spot on what looks like a rag. That white is actually dry ice in pellet form. Seven kilograms was $32au. Step one is to remove carpet, seats and such. Then vacuum etc. Next place the dry ice into a pillow case (that hte rag in the image whici is full of dry ice). This is then placed over section of deadener and a blanket put over that to keep things supper cold. What until the floor begins to creak and moan. The contraction of the metal happens at a different rate to the deadener. As such it comes loose from the floor. One only needs to tap lightly and big chunks break away - mostly. If there is a different media between the floor and the deadener then it will not lift. This can be something like a caulk used to seal gaps. Therein is the reason the oscillating scraper is in the image. Only tap the deadener lightly so as not to dent or move the floor.

Using dry ice in the pillow case is not as efficient as using it loose. However, the pillow case makes it easy to do areas like the transmission tunnel where the deadner is more vertical. And used just loose it mixes in with the deadener and dirt and is not fun to use.
The second image shows the pillow case on the transmission tunnel and some loose dry ice. Towards the end of the project the dry ice was used loose in the last footwell. This does speed things up, but the loose material should be covered with blanket or such to maximise its effectiveness and make it last longer.

Note: follow the material safety documentation that comes with dry ice. It is super cold carbon dioxide, hence, as it unfreezes it gives off a CO2 gas and in a confined space could cause asphyxiation. Also note, handling this with bare skin can burn and gloves should be worn if handling it.

6 Likes

Awesome info Mr G I have never done the deadener removal and knew it involved dry ice but was unsure of the technique. I have been around dry ice once or twice and understand the gas and not to touch. I am really glad you added those in for people who didnt know the danger’s :slight_smile:

1 Like

What - Daihatsu actually uses sound deadener?

I have never lifted the carpets on my G102 - never thought there would be anything to see from the amount of road noise I get!

From my understanding of acoustics, the deadener alone will not stop noise. To do that it would need to be continuous with no gaps. The floor will have gaps and holes, these will let sound through. Deadner is a quick and cheap way to cover an holes. Then it also helps to the thin metal to attenuate noise. Sort of changes the frequency of noise to make things sound less tin like.

I’ve had perhaps ten L200s (six of those were just to wreck), a couple of Sirions and one Charade. All had deadener.

I did not weigh the media that came out, but I would estimate 7kg in the Mira. My Series One Liberty/Legacy wagon had just over 15kg of deadener and 10kg of carpet underlay.

1 Like

Wow, how time passes. What has happened here? Or perhaps you might ask why is nothing happening? With the next annual track/sprint/race weekend for Gormsby’s regional LivetoDai group being Sunday coming it is another missed opportunity to have the L200 going. On the one hand Gormsby may have gone to far with “the build”. That is something to consider with modifying a car. Are you better off getting huge amounts of seat time or will you spend more time with the thing apart seeking to make it go better? Well Gormsby has another car for competition and he has been competing on a monthly basis, so he is getting seat time. What about the Mira? Well, with another car to “race” the Mira was relegated to storage. Part of this is due to time, some due to lack of working space and some due to loathing the predominantly electrical work that needs to be brought up to a level of the rest of the car. Gormsby has said the car has little meaning to him when it comes to the thought of needing to be seen in it or wanting to be part of the Dai social culture. His fit in DaiLife has perhaps been more about pushing the boundaries of what can be gotten out of a Dai. And for this at times he may come across as brash. The L200 is to him not cute, not trendy, not good looking and certainly not a collectible classic. On the contrary he has said it was a badly performing car, a low cost utilitarian vehicle (but not “cheap” as in it does have those fantastic manufacturing qualities one expects from a Japanese product) and something that is a real challenge to make it into anything worth driving let alone racing. As J Peterson might say “I risk saying such things despite the possibility of offending others as I am interested in the pursuit of truth”. So before this gets too deep and unwieldy, this “gone to far” build should be coming back “on track” (ha ha) soon. But the Mira will come back to life in pursuit of solving problems as this provides Gormsby with intrinsic motivation and perceived freedom, or as John Neulinger would say “optimal leisure”. The major problems solved so far: handling - adjustable dampers fitted, spring rates sorted, front bearing issues sorted (toss ef and install M100 type) and decent tires catered for; driving position - column location changed, pedals changed, huge bolsters added to seat and seat substantially lowered; power/torque improved - mild NA EJ-DE tripled the power and quadrupled the torque of the previous NA highly modified EF-EL and for the diverse gamut of club Motorsport it remains more drive-able than a turbo variant; traction issue - LSD fitted; the awful 3.9 turn lock to lock corrected for 1.5 turns l to l (you cannot seriously do motokhana, khanacross, hillclimb or any racing other than drags without such); and now it is time to bring proper electronics with full data logging and full solid state electronics. By the time it is going again it won’t look much different externally other than long 12 x 1.25 ARP wheelstuds and bigger rubber. The story, or this story, may start back up again and if it does it will need to take on new meaning for ol’ Gormsby to be interested enough to document anything. It is his story, his experience and his understandings. Hopefully, the “new” approach will include empirical real world testing to explain the “why” of things as opposed to the overwhelming “opinion” and “emotion” based stories on how to best build a race car (it will not be how to build a race car look alike).

9 Likes

I love the fact Gormsby has followed his own path and development of his L200. As he has stated it does not look anything special and cool, no stance maybe just a bit odd with round wheels arches and huge big wheels and rubber to 99%of the population but not to the ones that have been shown or can see what has been done. Having Gormsby let me drive the car before the lock to lock mods and a lot of other’s. I was more than impressed oh how much power and torque the NA EJDE had and then when I had a ride as a passenger I developed White knuckle fever and almost lumpy pants.
It was a few years again until I saw Gormsby’s little monster at a motorkahana day. Wow did it perform well with the inside rear wheel lifting right up high like a fly taking off before you swat him with a newspaper but still so stable on 3 legs. Sure it wasn’t a perfect run for the day but that is motor sport, either way the smile on Mr G’s face said it all. One thing I do know is it may take Mr G a while yet to get through the wiring and other challenges ahead but when they have all been overcome Im sure I will see that smile again and look forward to the day i do.

5 Likes

A few random images to make up for the dearth of visuals

![DSC_0971|281x500]Two gear sticks? Well only one changes gear. All aspects of motion are adjustable. Gormsby wanted it a bit higher again. Ultimately the base needs to be higher. Knob near steering wheel is a good thing. So what is the other lever, any guesses? Should be easy. Note also the red knob for rear brake bias adjustment. A balance bar pedal box sans booster has been fabricated but yet to be installed.
(upload://b03VxjjYj9lkgbkbFBGvO76EKOl.jpeg) ![efimira%20(1)|666x500]
A bit of cutting away for the big tires and how to maintain full travel while being able to do some extreme lowering to make up for the tall wheels. The outer skin was separated from everything such taht it could be pushed out 75mm. Wheel arches were cut out and the edge raised as it looked as though it had been “slammed”. Raising the wheel arches makes it look less like it has been tampered with and hopefully on the street it will attract no attention.
(upload://bWmujOdCBLj1KSq87fccZeW2fhU.jpeg)
mira%20at%20motokhana
Pic with the rear tubs done prior to the front being pumped out. On small wheels for the last time. Rear arch ishould end up lowered 50-75mm and the front arch raised for visual balance.

4 Likes

Just like the above, some of these could be repeats

![sony%20jan%202017%20087%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy|480x270]
The biggest tire being catered for here is an 15 x 8" with a 225/50/15
(upload://cytKySjJmcLVNsRPmi0ayDELxIs.jpeg) ! Got a bit lazy and made my threads for these adjustable spring seats a bit fine. Should have been patient and done acme or butress threads.
sony%20jan%202017%20118%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy|281x500 !
sony%20jan%202017%20119%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy%20-%20Copy|690x388 Vertical damper rather than inclined made a noticeable difference. One can make adjustments that the mind is able to figure out. With the inclined damper the rate change always meant a compromise setting since the damping curve is not linear with the std inclined damper/shock position.

3 Likes