Not quite track. Mr Gormsby's L200

I am really happy to hear this is to be honest but even if you don’t please remember to turn on you action cam. You can always make a thread in the “non dia’s” Build section and post some vid links and pics of anything you would like to share. You are well respected here and we love seeing what gormsby is up to and achieving :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Mr_Gormsby Oh no sad to hear about the Mira. Hope you’re doing alright man. Just wanted to let you know you’ve been a great help with my project so far (as slow as I’m taking it) sorry to hear you been in the dumps. I must say covid certainly pushed me to my limits at times. Just got to crack on find something to aim at that has enough pull to keep you going. Look after yourself mate and if you’re nostalgic about the Mira Ill be happy to keep picking your brain and sharing pics. Did you end up selling the LSD gearbox? This is something that I know these little cars need to be proper good. I am currently dropping and ej-ve in behind the existing l500 gearbox but would love to start acquiring the parts ill need for a (stronger?) LSD box in the future

1 Like

Thanks for the words of support. One of the precursors to getting down is my sleep pattern spirals the wrong way. Been quite okay lately.

Always happy to have people pick my brain, and also for people to dissect the advice using only the bits that are helpful and discarding that which is not.

Unfortunately for you the gearbox is gone. The person did still want it and I ended up delivering it myself. For a stronger box and better ratios think about an L700 box. I have helped put one in an L200 and it was a good thing. Plus you can get a proper LSD center for them.

3 Likes

Yeah, mental note “take the camera” and “turn it on”. Mostly I am involved with setup before events or working on other cars as well as mine. Poor excuse, I must be better prepared!

Here’s 10sec that Leonie caught of me last event. Perhaps if I promise to provide some in car I’d have to hold up to that promise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEJkVzP8Ods

1 Like

Everyone is amazed by someone else’s work :wink: I think that’s the part of us that always wants more.

Exciting to hear you might race another Dai! I’m looking forward to see the footage, if there will be any :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

If I forget to do any footage I promise to make up by videoing an interpretive dance. ha ha.

6 Likes

That I got to see :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Motokhana is about as basic as motorsport gets. One only needs a basic car, the “daily will even do”. Entry fees are as low as $50au and the cost in tires, lic and such for a year is paltry. With so many people spending so much on doing cars up to be “fast” I am often bewildered that: many people (not all) are more interested in being “pretend” racers; they would prob turn up to events with “fast cars” find they are either not nearly as quick as they thought, are awful to drive quickly, not reliable or get beaten by regular competitors with lessor machines; and it is strange to think people own cars that can never be pushed on the road like they could be pushed in competition (that’s right, no matter how fast you’ve driven on the road true comp is faster). For those ready to argue now or who are offended, consider the above words a challenge to turn up to a local event and prove the above words wrong. If you are in SEQ consider giving a motokhana or khanacross a go Events – HSCCQ or a hillclimb https://www.mgccq.org.au/hillclimb . These two examples are run under the national body Motorsport Australia. There are also events run under a different group, Racer’s Inc, and typically are track sprint days. My own experience and opinion are that the latter are"loose" and not the best when it comes to having sufficient marshalls and safety can be a concern to me. Back to thinking motokhana. This form of comp requires no helmet and is all first gear (or reverse for some tests). The Australian National Championships are in Qld for 2021 at Willowbank later this year. Here is an example of the sort of tests that will be used Redirecting... Typically small front wheel drives have been able to dominate this type of event. Here are a couple of clips of big fat cars having a go.

Hopeing to see some of you at an event sometime soon. They are kid friendly events and children can start competing at 12yrs old. :smiley:

4 Likes

I wish we had those types of events around here :frowning: only major tracks allow you to “race” against yourself while other idiots are also racing on track with you.

1 Like

I have watched all of your vids in the last couple of days on your you tube I love seeing the whale get thrown around it sounds good and looks great.
I definitely agree about track and street. I haven’t done many track events but have had an absolute blast every time. My favourite being the skid control rally day I did. Sure it wasn’t timed and just out to have fun but , I was able to push my then move better than I ever had b4 and even came spun out twice.
On the street is so different I drive like a grandpa on the street and have no want or need to drive fast and be stupid as it’s far to dangerous and I have honestly felt safer on track than I have on the street every time I have been on track.
Admittedly I would like to do more than I do currently but never end up doing so and that is my own fault whether it be laziness of actually getting a car ready or getting cams licence and joining a club or lack of wanting to spend the cash on comp when I want to spend it on car mods or something else at the time.

Keep posting your vids though Mr G I am absolutely loving them and the fact there is no 5 min intro etc b4 you actually get to see the run is great (refering to all the youtubes that make you wait forever with intro’s or trying to build anticipation). I will say though my got it looks confusing on vid sometimes and wonder how you all know where you are driving lol

1 Like

Looking forward to “when” you are able to come along. You are welcome of have a go in the White Whale if you did a “come and try day”.

I’ve never done much with videos but am learning quickly. For motokhana and hopefully for khanacross I will at least put the map of the course in the thumbnail or in the intro (I’ve now done that for a few on my youtube channel and just need to double check I have got the right ones up). If you develop a strategy for “remembering” the course is better than attempting to remember the whole pattern. For example, the main markers are blue and yellow. Often it is turn right on the course for yellow markers and they are shown as “b” on the map. Then, not following logic blue markers are “a” on the map (I wish B on the map stood for blue!). Yeah, trying to keep the intro and ending short unless it provides context or if there is something of visual interest.

Concerning the pots before, there is no need for anyone to explain “why” they aren’t doing comp. It was a dig to have many think about coming out for a club day - it gives a whole diff experience to owning a car.

Oh I know It wasn’t a dig and it was an encouragement to attend a club day. Out of curiosity do you know when the next come and try day is?

Having just checked the calendar I don’t see any more come and try for the year HSCCQ :: Events
Oct HSCCQ are hosting the nationals and everything from now is a build up or practice for then. There will be some Khanacross. Next on is June 20th.

1 Like

Slightly off topic but if you want this in the Netherlands, you should check out Wimedo autoslalom, they organize similar events in the Netherlands. Have been planning to go there for a while now but never did.

4 Likes

We should go with al the Daihatsu’s when possible. Make it a meeting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok so if you don’t know. I am now possession of the Mr G Mira, I thought about starting a new thread for it but I feel it should be continued here. If that is not ok then please let me know @Mr_Gormsby .

I have had this car for a while. It finally made it in the shed and have I started making some small steps with it.
So for I have made little wheel guards to bring the rear arch height down a bit but made them bolt on and off so I can take advantage of the space if needed.
I have bought a new fuel pump and put the fuel tank back in today.
I made a cover for the hole in the floor for easy access to the fuel pump if needed for the future. This was made by a rear cut-out piece that came with the car. Thank’s to Mr G.
I have taken the rear trailing arms and checked bushes and changed the rear springs with stiffer rear spring’s (supplied).
I re-connected the right rear handbrake cable and bent the holder’s slightly as they had gone on a bit of an angle so now they should pull straighter and the hand brake works on about 2 clicks and is really good so far.

I also hit everything on the tank and the fuel pump cover with some gloss black paint just to bend it in a bit.

So the Plan I have is to start at the rear of the car and work my way forward and get everything sorted as I go.

So next up will be welding in some steel to cover bits and pieces in the back and just clean it up a bit. Time to get my mig skills happening again and find where I put everything.
Here is a few pics of the back of what I have done and bits I need to do…

4 Likes

So glad it lives on. Fantastic to see this thread. Good work Mr Evilhighway. I wish there were a few more things I had completed for you, especially that welding in the rear and some work on the front to make the wheels clear (might need to come and stay for a weekend and show you what I was going to do for wheel clearance). Plus we need either to mod those custom front Konis some more with small springs to clear the 15x7s, or make some new struts. That didn’t get completed because I had some two way adjustable Koni sports, but one went missing from my mate’s workshop and I was left with one (every so often I do still look for it, and am sure one day it will pop up). The rear shocks are Spax adjustable from a Lotus Super Seven with those screws being for rebound (should be set fairly slow). Probably more info to share.

We need to get you out to some events. I think next year will have more bitumen Khanacross at Willowbank and they are only $50. Will suit the Mira.

1 Like

Thats all good Mr G. Im looking forward to getting stuck into getting it done as for the 205’s they dont clear the front but from what I have looked at so far the 195’s do clear and the 205’s clear on the rear so for the moment I may do that as I’m in no hurry whatsoever and will sort out the rear first. :slight_smile:
I want to eventually get a speeduino for it but cant afford it right now so that will be on the backburner for a while and will get it runniing on the stock ecu to begin with.

1 Like

It will go well even with the stock ecu. Just needs the fuel lines redone. See if Col still has my Autronic SMC and ask him for it. Or Frankenstein has another SMC that I own, if he hasn’t used it grab that off him. Neither the speeduino or smc will run the VE cams. I can lend you an SM4 that will run them.

1 Like

all in time :slight_smile: