RED ROOSTA aka ANGRY BIRD

Great to see race footage. Why was the pass at 2:25 illegal? It was a really nice move I thought. Car seemed really good under brakes.

@Mr_Gormsby, yup still haven’t gotten to that; after this wedding in July I hope to free up my pocket and time to get things done.
The long side is the culprit. From it happened all I can remember is you pointing out how the axle behaves under load. With using the EJ gearbox I had to use a longer axle and it was resplined without being re hardened. It’s at the point that all this happen I’m being directed to what machine shop might had been able to reharden it :expressionless:.
I want a solution for this though, so shoot some ideas my way whenever you can.

Post has been updated with photos.

@b_hoves, due to the class, being a street class, the cars are allowed to race without roll cage.Some restrictions are:
Set no pass zones; mainly in corners where there it is likely for two cars to trade paint.

On this track we’re limited to do lap times no faster than 1:45. That’s why in the video you’ll notice a lot of slowing down in the S’s

“Good under brakes” you say :sweat_smile: Im still using Mira Avanzato 13" brakes :sweat_smile: Need to upgrade if im going to cross over to the other side to play with the other guys.

Now when all this happened it was a public holiday; close to the end of the raceday trying to find a solution to get my car home as wrecking was not an option. There were was a machinist at the meet who pointed me to a welder who called a friend to open his shop and give me a hand.
A fabricator who was a part of another team helped me rig this up to get going.
We used the stock long axle; provided by a friend who lived in the area and two 3/4" sockets were fitted to the axle and welded.

I think a “cut and shut” axle would be better than the “un heat” treated resplined one. It would matter what steel was used too.

cut and shut…meaning and axle that’s cut and joined with steel?

Im wondering if I need thicker axles though also

Yes cut and joined with a tube.

A thicker axle may mean you keep breaking them through the spline. Big chunky ones won’t flex. A bit of flex/twist will filter out torque spikes. If I remember I’ll look up Carroll Smith’s Engineer to Win which has some info on it (or is it Race to Win. I know it’s not in his book Tune to Win as I have that here and it was not in it).

Alrighty so developments have been slow, but still getting things done.
What we decided to do with the right side was to extend the C.V cup, basically cutting housing from another cup and welding it.
This way I’m able to use the stock right axle assembly.
The photo below was the mock up before we welded it

3 Likes

Seeing that I’m yet to get time with my fabricator to do the rear spring mod. I decided to do what I can with I can.
I decided to try some a pair of 92 suzuki swift rear springs and do the one thing I never think I’d do…cut a set of springs…yup…I chopped em.
The springs are the same diameter, the top spring is small so i cut about two coils.
These springs are definitely firmer than what I had on before.

We have two circuits on the island to race now. This one’s faster and doesn’t have the technical uphill as downhill and a better track surface as its newer. It being a power track I was at a disadvantage with the evos in my class.

Race 1 was pouring rain. One evo retired from the race due to low visibility.
Race 2 they both got by and I really didnt want to use high boost for fear of what happened last meet. One evo broke out of the bracket time so 2nd place
Race 3 I went all out, semi slicks up front and 21psi on the trigger, 17psi low.
Ended the day with three 2nd place.
August 6 we’ll be going back to our original technical track.
The track

the team

Understeer

warm up laps

4 Likes

Race vids. Didnt get race 2. Thankfully I have race 3. That race was the most exciting

2 Likes

Would like some advice on oil catch can designs. Whenever I use the single cam head I’ve had heavy breathing.
I now have 2 breathers in the blow and one in the head. Slowing down the air with bigger hoses have helped. So I want another catch can and use two 12AN fittings on the cover.

1 Like

Can’t help with the catch can, but, awesome results from the event!

2 Likes

One more upgrade I failed to mention was my Lil oil cooler. Just laying there at my fabricator’s garage, he let me have it. No idea what it’s for but it’s perfect for the little space I have left.
Due to how the external waste gate was installed I no longer had space for the bigger cooler I used to run.
Rodded the fins to ensure air flow and built a little duct and sealed it with some sponge.
Taz doing a little bracketing for the oil cooler

4 Likes

My gosh it’s been waaaay tooo long since I last updated this thread. Not much upgrading has happened just breaking and fixing.
I’ve finally broken the engine sadly due to a loose hose to my boost controller. Puzzling as to why my ecu didn’t boost cut.

I’ve done quite a lot of updating of my activities on YouTube, for anyone who hasn’t subscribed to my channel. Please do https://www.youtube.com/user/FortisD

Going forward I will ensure to update this thread as I used to.

5 Likes