Track Cuore L700

Did some more fiddling about today. Started to figure out a way to get a nice cover for the headlight intake. Starte out with a sheet of plastic but didnt turn out that well.

Figured I still had an old headlight lens with a hole cut in it. So grabbed that instead

Didn’t turn out perfect, but it will do the job for now. If anyone has any tips on getting this more circular, please let me know! Might try again with another lens in the future. Probably needed to heat things up more evenly. Learning as we go :wink:

When payday comes we will be ordering some semi slicks!!! Exciting stuff :wink:

7 Likes

Quick updates of more mods!

Installed an Ultra Racing front strutbrace

Also got a rear ARB, started by retapping de holes

Then some paint:

And voila!

Also went a little crazy today, i created this nice cheeky side exit onto the stock exhaust line. I want to go to a larger diameter at some point but for now this will do.

Sadly, as I had feared it wont be on time for the end of this track season. Looks like were going to have to wait another winter and get a new MOT. Might still be a fun little car to take to meetings though :wink:

6 Likes

Finished off the doorcards

Really glad with how they turned out! Might install a little pull flap later on but for now it suits the car well and really cleans things up.

Also tidied up the rear wing supports, no more sharp edges and a coat of black paint really seals the deal :wink:

Things that are still on the list are of course tires, intake, and the front bumper still needs work. After that it’s all good to go and I might be able to join the Dutch Superlap time attack competition!

Here are some more glamour shots from how she’s right now!

20210927_144531|690x335

6 Likes

So since my main car (the silver stationwagon) is undergoing some TLC at a different garage, I has some spare time and figured I’d work on something that was on the backburner for a while now.

I’ve always found the gas pedal position somewhat awkward on thr L7’s, it’s too far away for my small feet to do perform any heel-toeing, so I figured i’d mod it a bit to suit my needs.

Started off by putting some spacers behind the mounting of the pedal.

This was already loads better and brought the pedal more towards the driver seat, instead of tucked away somewhere in the far reaches of the void called a footwell.

You can see its lined up with the rest of the pedals now

But I still had trouble reaching to the right with my tiny feet. The pedal is quite skinny and I need it to be more beefed up and sticking more to the left.

So I made a little custom pedal

This is much wider and minimizes the distance from brake to gaspedal. Also notice the highly professionally fabricated indents for maximum grip!

My tiny feet approve!

If ya’ll are interested in more feet pictures, let me know and i’ll whip up an onlyfans :rofl:

10 Likes

Hey that is an awesome project, Im subscribing :+1::+1:
Where did you get that sweet rear swaybar??

1 Like

I believe some L700’s had these, rear swaybars from an L900 Move will also fit!

1 Like

Finally fixed the turn signal issue by grounding it somewhere else. Not the most elegant fix but enough to get through MOT. While I was busy looking for the grounding issue I figured I’d clean up the wheel well and give it a fresh layer of undercoating

Just needs a new reservoir for the windscreenfluid, stock front and rear springs and it should make it through MOT no problemo.

4 Likes

Not a lot going on lately, me and the missus have a motorcycle trip planned in norway so all the money is being funneled that way. Yesterday we had a big clean up so I figured I’d boot up the ol’ TrackCuore and place it somewhere else to clean the floor etc. (I start it up every 3 weeks or so and let it run for a while.)

Friend of mine made some cool pictures while it was taken from its hibernation.

6 Likes

Awesome. Are you going to the most northern part of Norway? My grandparents did that a couple of years ago. Be warned about going offroad or breaking the speed limit. If the Dutch tickets seems high, wait till you get one from Norway…

That spoiler looks so good on the little Cuore! Also looking really good polished up!

Been a while, i’ve tried selling this car but so far, not a lot of interested (understandably).

So for now I’ve decided to have it roadworthy again and use it as a sporty and economical daily. Things have gone smoothly getting it through MOT. Gave it the ol’ eyeball alignment and things are looking pretty good so far. Only thing it really needs is a new battery.

I’ve been feeling like the Sirion brakes have a lot of deadzone as well. Once you push in the pedal far enough it brakes like hell. But theres some slack there. It doesnt feel exactly squishy but I feel like the brakes may need more bleeding, or maybe I should be going for a bigger master cilinder / other issue.

So yeah, this cuore sees the light of day again and lives forth as a workhorse. Practical? No. Stylish? Not exactly. Extremely fun to drive on public roads? You bet your sweet bippy it is.

3 Likes

Maybe try to adjust the rear brakes. What happens with these brake systems, is that the brakeshoes are too far away from the drum, so you’re basically pushing the brakeshoes outward first (until they sit against the inside of the drum), before you actually start to build pressure. You can tell there’s ‘too much’ clearance when you can pull the handbrake fairly high before anything happens

1 Like

This seems like something that would make sense in this situation. I’ll check out those rear drums later. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Tried adjusting the rear drums today, feels a little bit better but I feel like it could be more than what it is now. Luckily the adjusters are relatively easy to get to.

Todays been full of rust prevention, checking sparkplugs, refining the valve cover and cleaning up here and there.

I want to start planning upgrades and getting a budget ready for this car. Unfortunatelty rent is high, gasoline prices are high, keeping the house warm is ridiculously expensive, even getting groceries is painful for the wallet right now. I hope I can get some cool stuff done for next summer. But funds are hard to find rn.

A semi shiny valvecover. Need to redo this sometime and do it GOOD. Get a coarser grit first and even things out.

Spark plugs look okay ish, but replacing them is never a bad idea.

Hopefully I can get some more stuff done tomorrow.

5 Likes

Is it just me or does that first spark plug look like ist running lean? Might just be the lighting but the second one looks perfect except that it’s worn.

1 Like

They’re the same sparkplug, just different angles haha, yeah just coffee brown and some electrodes that have seen brighter days. Probably swapping these out soon for some new ones.

1 Like

It could be running somewhat lean-ish, but I don’t think it’s anything out of the ordinary.

If that the same sparkplug you have nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

Okay this is really strange:

In about four days my sparkplugs went from this:

To an unexplainable oily mess like this:

I’ll give you the full story. This morning I went out to get some new spark plugs, oil + filter, an oilplug and some injector cleaner.

After replacing the sparkplugs and filling the oil I figured I’d start her up to let the oil circulate.

Immediatly thick blue ish clouds of smoke started coming out of the exhaust (and I know what you’re thinking: you’ve probably just poured in to much oil. This wasnt the case.)

I put in 2 -and a little- liters of fresh 5w30 oil. I think I’ve looked at my dipstick 40 times over but I’m confident I’m reading it right. It’s about 4mm under full.

After letting it heat up outside the clouds of smoke still wouldn’t go away. So I brought her back in and opened everything up. New sparkplugs are now also black and a little oily on the side. I decided to peek into the cilinder and it had a noticable layer of oil on the top of the piston.

Now the question, how in the who what where did that get there. I honestly have no clue except for some guy in the garage sabotaging my work. Pouring old oil into my cilinders?

So far i’ve checked:

-Oil level (it’s good I’m 100% sure)
-compression test (13 bar in cyl 1 and 2, 14 in 3. I’m doubting any failing piston rings.)
-Rocker cover sparkplug seals (nothing seems out of the ordinary)

Honestly i’m at a loss for words. I’ve been working on cars for quite sometime now and I refuse to believe I’ve failed to complete a simple oil and sparkplug change.

I’ve had a mate come over to check things out, said it would probably be best to give it the ol “italian tune-up”

Which meant just getting it nice and hot and burning off any residual oil. So far i’ve driven it home alright.

I did have some backfire when doing 50km/h in third, amd then giving it a sharp full throttle kick. This went away after 20 minutes on the highway going around 120km/h.

Throttle response feels better now, it was still puffing a little smoke when I got back but it looks to be somewhat better. I’ll open everything up again tomorrow to see if the piston tops are dry. Also should clean up my new shiny sparkplugs. Which unfortunately arent so shiny any more.

If anyone has any idea whatsoever as to how this could have happened. Please let me know! I can’t wrap my head around this.

1 Like

check out the breather hose that goes from the rocker cover to near the throttle body and see what oil is in it, you may have had a little bit go through when filling the oil??

1 Like