WA L500RS

If the box pops out of gear, that usually means the synchros for those gears are bad. But because both 1st and 3rd do it there might be something wrong with the shifting mechanism inside the box.

Anti leak additives don’t swell the seals. It solidifies when it comes into contact with air. So it won’t work on leaks at moving/rotating parts.

I would of thought the ones that solidify are say additives that go in the coolant to fix radiator or head gasket leaks where they seal as they come into contact with air and the ones that go into oil rejuvenate/swell oil seals?

But this is the culprit…
Gear cable bending when going for 1st and 3rd due to a metal rod inside the dust boot falling out of position, it’s supposed to be over the cable to keep it firm while pushing into gear.
Simple fix, cut boot off and fit two cable ties under the rod.

3 Likes

Nice and easy fix!

I didn’t know there was a additive for oil systems. I always thought that stop leak was just a general anti leak additive.

1 Like

glad it was an easy fix for you and you dont have to go about changing gearbox’s. I have had similar on my move ot the other end and did the same trick and worked for ages. Symptoms were not the same though.

1 Like

Interesting. I was talking to a guy yesterday who had the same thing happen in his old Lancer. I asked what he did to fix it, his answer was he just sold the car lol.

I’ll still open the L80 4sd though and change the axle and selector shaft seals. At least then I’ll have a box ready to go If my current one does let go, plus it’ll be a learning curve as I’ve never opened a manual before.

Back to rebuilding this Weber now. Just going to buy a $30 gravity fed soda blasting gun off eBay to give it a final clean before I assemble it then off to my mates to get some flanges made for the adapter.

what weber did you end up getting? Im maybe looking for one for my swift so would love to know what you got and how well it works.

36IDF

One of the guys with a Hijet on the Facebook group was selling a 40IDF on an adapter which gave me the inspiration to to the same setup.

This one…

Honestly, I’d rather go EFI but I can’t source a factory loom with ECU and intake manifold to bolt straight on, easiest I thought is 1ltr Sirion/Cuore as I’m on a tight budget.

3 Likes

yeh I would look ate ejde stuff to bolt on and wiring loom etc…

That’s the hard part. You guys over east have heaps of part outs and wreckers :slight_smile:

It is a diminishing supply though as there have been no more Daihatsu’s since 2005. Frankly I had a bit of a bugger of a time chasing Sirion calipers it took several days and sending requests to at least 8 different wreckers. Part of it was due to stupid people working at the wreckers and also general incompetence but I finally got a pair.

Do check out RHDJapan.com and https://importmonster.com.au/ and the like.

1 Like

I have a spare engine loom, manifold and ecu for an ejde if you are interested.

2 Likes

You have my attention Mr Gormsby

1 Like

I have just remembered that you will need to check to see if the head has injection ports as they are not located in the manifold but on the head and aim at the top of the valve. I probably have injectors and a rail I can throw in. Price for all wo
uld be the cost of postage plus say $10 for packing and a small donation to the forum. I will attempt to remember to take some pics when home tonight. What is the postcode it would go to?

3 Likes

You Sir are a legend.

Postcode is 6106, Welshpool.

1 Like

If you wanted I have an ej-de head too that you can have. From the pic of your engine bay this head is similar to yours and not like most ej-de (I have six heads with the external oil return from the head to the oil filter block but the head in question does not). It has the injection ports. If you don’t want it I will toss it soon as I am needing to tidy up. Will take some pics of loom, manifold and head tomorrow. To dark and wet to venture outside to the garage tonight. Here is a pic of the ecu though

4 Likes

Thank you very much, I think I shall take you up on the offer of the head aswell as it would probably make it much easier than trying to work with my current head.
I’d love some of that rain over here, this constant heat is atrocious .

2 Likes

As well as the ecu here’s the head, engine loom, manifold, timing cover and bolts. As yet there is no throttle body. I will look for one but no guarantee since I did modify a lot of them boring them out and fitting bigger throttle plates.

Will weigh and check postage over the weekend.

4 Likes

Thank you, you’ve been more than generous helping me out here.
I don’t know if you’ve used them before, but if Australia Post works out to be expensive then e-go is a cheap way to transport if it’s going depot to depot. If that’s an option then if you’re obtaining an online quote the depot closest to myself is Perth, Canning Vale - 6155.

1 Like

Yes I use e-go a heap. I hate using the local depot and try not to go in as the owner is narcissistic and changes where you can park, who you can talk to, how you…and so on. I’ll check pick up from my work to your depot, and Aus post. It should be under 20kg by a long way.

Good to know it might get used. Surplus to my needs and I’d probably end up tossing the lot as space is at a premium here.

3 Likes

It’ll all definitely be used and appear here as I install it.
I’m feeling the same way about my left over L80 parts, need to claim my shed back.
That’s a pity your local depot is that way, the guy over here is pretty layed back.

2 Likes