Bertie Bus

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KELPRO-OIL-SEAL-AXLE-DAIHATSU-MIRA-L200-1993-1995-7L-97523/141795589489?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I think these are the ones I used.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks James!

1 Like

Some updates on on the bus. End of last week I was able to get half a day to work on Bertie and was able to get the engine and gearbox back together and back into the engine bay. I was also able to rewire everything and fill and partially bleed the coolant.
Had a bit more time this morning and was able to replace the inner oil seals and the outer tie rod ends. As you can see in the pic the tie rod ends were pretty had it.

Still got a few things to do, the biggest of which is replacing the rear springs and shocks. But, she is so close to being on the road. Getting excited to drive it as my daily again.

1 Like

Honestly replacing rear springs and shocks is REALLY easy. . You will have no probs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only thing that makes it the bigger job is they are excel shocks. But, not worried about it.

cut the crush tubes flush and bit of massaging and it will be fine. I actually just went to gtvi springs and shocks for daily duties as every one (but Me) complains about bumpy ride.

1 Like

Been a while since I updated this thread. Life and family has been taking up a lot of my time, so progress has been slow. Whenever I had the time and energy I would spend 15mins to an hour on old Bertie. Never enough done to update the thread, but, slowly ticking things off the list.

Over the weekend though I reached a big milestone! Breatie was back on its wheels and driving! Front end is basically done, except for a few teething issues which I’ll work through over the next little while.

Next is rear shocks and springs to be done this coming weekend.

I’d like to take the opportunity to thank @evilhighway. Through the course of this build he has been a great source of knowledge, inspiration and encouragement.

2 Likes

Bertie is pretty dirty, but, I was excited to have it back from ‘out the back’

3 Likes

I just glad to help mate and happy to see dirty bertie back on it wheels and new sexy wheels too. Well done for persevering and not giving up.

1 Like

DAYUM, Those wheels look Awesome on the move :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks Dale! I’ll get a pic of the whole car once the rear set are on and the car is clean :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got bored and created a Instagram for Bertie. Give it a follow

3 Likes

Bertie is off the road again :unamused:. The drivers side axle has popped out of the gearbox and transmission fluid has covered my driveway. I didn’t have time to fix it at the time and won’t have time until next weekend. Next weekend was meant to be to give Bertie a service and roll the rear guards before the trackday. Hopefully A) it’s something simple like the C clip didn’t seat properly last time and B) I still have time to do a service and roll the guards.

Let me know if it is not something simple and start to run out of time to get parts as I have a jackshaft with mira/move cv’s on it you could borrow to get you to track day. Only catch would be you would have to come get it and would like it back as soon as you could get another cv if you need to borrow it.

1 Like

Thanks Jimmy. Hopefully I won’t need to take you up on that offer.

1 Like

Yesterday was the QLD track day at Ipswich Raceway. I had an absolute blast and hope everyone else did. I brought my dad along and he had a great time too. He made it a point to mention it to me what a great group we have and how welcoming and helpful everyone was. I’d love for him to come along to one at Lakeside sometime too.

Here’s how the day went for me:
Arriving and getting singed in went nice and smooth. Usually there are a few people I have to organise, but, everyone was sorted.
Arriving back at the car it was pointed out to me that there was a leak under the Move. A quick inspection showed that the axle had come out from the gearbox, this time on the passengers side (I hope this isn’t a reoccurring thing :unamused:). Some quick thinking and quick hands from @evilhighway and @Mr_Gormsby, as well as others, had the axle back in and Bertie all ready to be on Track .

1st Session: I threw caution to the wind and felt like I pushed hard, best time or 1:24.52 checked under the car and no extra leaking from the axle. Excellent!

2nd Session: The reality of not being able to get home and to work the next day if there was more issue with the axle hit home. I deiced to be not so hard on the car and use a higher gear around all the corners so as to be not so hard on the gearbox, drive train and engine. Stupidly, I was 5.5 seconds quicker for my fastest lap with a 1:18.97.

3rd Session: Felt like I got my lines much better and really nailed the last chicane and final corner. Even though I was holding back even more I still was able to get a 1:18.02. There was reports from other drivers that Bertie was cocking the rear wheels on these laps.

I’m really happy with my progress over the day. I feel like if I wasn’t worried about not being able to get home and linked some corners together I would definitely have dropped into the 1:17s, maybe further. I was surprised how much wheel work was needed to get the Move to turn and can definitely see the benefit of @Mr_Gormsby faster steering rack.

I am unsure what my next steps should be to make it faster next time. The amount of roll was disconcerting , but the cocked rear wheels shows the weight was going to the right areas. As Mr G mentioned yesterday maybe I just have to ‘Trust the grip’

5 Likes

I got some footage of you behind me rob. no 3 wheels unfortunately. You were going super hard at it getting the 1:18’s and was only about 1 second behind me until the last 2 sessions. My best was a 1:14. Your setup with suspension etc really paid off you were quicker through corners than what I seemed to be and I was on semi slick’s. In all honesty I think you are are better driver!

1 Like

oh will get the footage after I edit out all the sideways camera work and par park footage of the car behind me lol

1 Like

I’m the more stupid driver :joy:. I wasn’t sure how much more I could push it and still stay upright. I think the rear needs to be stiffer or maybe a sway bar and a bit of bracing?

1 Like

oh I know what your saying I was thinking I was nearly gonna be on my side on turn 2 soo many times hahaha!

1 Like