Blyatsu 2 - The Ultimate Daihatsu (L701)

That is correct, however:

• I’m not able to transport the shell to Germany
  • The engine was taken out, so there are no engine or cat available (the old engine will be taken apart and the cat is sold seperately)
  • The engine is not mine, so it’s not my call, but apart from that, I don’t have the right tools to work on engines properly. Also, the engine had quite a severe knock and ran cold for a while, which has presumably done damage to the engine.

Taking the engine apart would’ve cost us more time, knowledge and arguably more money (as the owner sold quite a lot of stuff from the donor vehicle), so for now, this was the best way of fixing it

1 Like

[quote=“Blyatsu, post:142, topic:2827”]…The engine was taken out, so there are no engine or cat available…[/quote]For those of whom don’t yet know, any engine and cat will do. They don’t necessarilly have to be Daihatsu. As long as you pack an Opel engine on the rear seat along with a Ford cat, they won’t care

Hahahahah I did not know that. However, we can sell a cat for €150 an get the shell picked up for free, so we’ll stick with that probably

1 Like

I was wondering if you had any chance to play around with the ECU yet? I’ve been wanting to kick start the turbo project again and was hoping you have some insights (as we are still looking for a decent ECU) any comments so far?

Unfortunately I haven’t touched the ECU since I bought it. I’m currently in the middle of a very busy and messy semester at school, combined with trying to move into a larger place to work in. It’ll probably be a winterproject, and once I’m starting to get somewhere, I’ll document my progress and tell you my experience with the ECU.

2 Likes

Hello to my favorite group of people!

Like I said in my most recent post, I haven’t done anything to the car yet. However, that doesn’t mean nothing has happened at all! Actually quite a few things changed over the last month. Let’s start with the green Sirion!

ALL GREEN THINGS MUST COME TO AN END

Finally the Sirion got taken out of the garage. At the time it had been taking up space for about a month at that point, so I was happy to see it go. Obviously I knew it was going to take time and I don’t want to blame the person it was for, but it’s just annoying how difficult it is to reach the guy who picks it up and make an appointment (to which he showed up 3,5 hours late, with good reason though). Oh well.

MONEY

The main reason why I didn’t do anything to the car, is money. To spend money, you need an income (just wanted to say that so we’re on the same page). I didn’t have an income, because I stopped working just before the pandemic happened (like a month earlier, completely unrelated though) to focus on school. Times have changed, I’m poor, I want to make things, ergo: I needed a job. When I moved, my neighbor turned out to be co-manager of a fruit and vegetables supplier. He needed a driver, but after my try-out day, I decided it wasn’t for me. One thing I did notice, was that the vans were a bit neglected. I asked him who was in charge of that, and he said basically nobody was. So, I offered him to look after said vans, and fast forward to today: I am now in charge of taking care of the vans. Pretty cool! For me, it’s not too difficult, and it saves them a lot of trips to the garage. Win-win!

TIME FOR AN UPGRADE

Alright so I’ll just give it to you straight: I’ve decided to get rid of both my Daihatsu’s and buy something bigger, more modern, more luxurious and just overall better. So without further ado, here is my new car!

It’s the Dacia Sandero!

And it’s the best car I’ve never had and probably never will. I was just messing with you, I’m not planning on getting rid of both my cars anytime soon (Dave might go away at the start of summer though). No the real upgrade is something else, but first a little info.
Since I’ve moved, I was looking for a place to work on my car closer to home. However, I couldn’t find anything. Since I’m planning on moving back to the city I grew up in once I got my own place, I decided to just stick with the garage I had and simply ‘modify’ it to suit my needs. First of all, a workbench. Wood is mega expensive, so I sourced some second hand wood for cheap, and picked it up.

The guy I got the wood from seemed a bit skeptical when I arrived with my kei-sized car, so you can imagine the look on his face when I shoved in the first board without any issues.

Sure, I had to put my seat forward a little bit, but the tailgate was shut. Lovely!

The next day, I went to my garage to store all the wood, and I ran into my new landlord. Unfortunately, my old landlord passed away a while back, so his kids took over (mostly his son). We get along really well, which I’m happy about! In our conversation, he mentioned that one of the bigger sheds of the compound would soon be available because the current tenant couldn’t afford rent anymore. It got my interest, so I asked if he could send me some pictures and more info. He did, and I was actually a bit blown away. It would be too expensive for me to rent it on my own, but that was never the plan. My dream was to rent a big space together with a friend/friends, so I proposed my plan to one of my closest friends (the guy who has the other yellow Cuore). At first he said no, but later came around and said yes! After visiting the place, and A LOT of negotiation regarding things to take over from the current tenant, we’ve finally agreed to switch garages on December 1st. I am thrilled!

I will post pictures ones we’ve moved, but here’s a little info:
It’s about 3 to 4 times as big as my current garage, it comes with a decent sized garden (which I wasn’t even aware of at first) and it’s about €40 more compared to what I’m paying now. If this all goes well, it truly is a dream coming true for me. Once we’re settled, we’ll probably buy some more propper gear together as well, so I’m looking forward to spending our time there!

A lot of stuff happening! I will try to take a few pictures during the process and put them in a new post. I’m making a list of things I’d like to do in the winter, which should be possible once I get a bit of cashflow.

Big hugs from me and until next time :slight_smile:

ezgif.com-gif-maker
(Actually me)

Btw, feel free to ask questions or give suggestions, I’m always in for that!

11 Likes

awesome post as usual mate! You got me for a sec at the Dacia Sandero. I then had a giggle when I read the next line!. Well done on new garage sounds pretty good and hope it all goes well.
Most building materials here are expensive now too. I always look for secondhand where ever I can. The cover on my trailer (not finished) is mainly free 2nd hand materials with an old $40 ute canopy. Looks terrible but will work fine once I have the it is finished.

3 Likes

Thank you once again for your kind words, always appreciate it!

Now that I’ve done almost all bolt on mods, my plan is to get more into the fabricating side of things. Sourcing second hand stuff is a challenge I’d like to take, so hopefully I will, like you, get creative with it!

3 Likes

haha yep - got me too :rofl:

great news about the extra space - makes such a difference to overall enjoyment and ease of jobs!

3 Likes

SPECIAL POST

I thought my next post was going to be about my new ‘shed’ (which I will be moving into tomorrow, coincidentally), but today was a very “Live to Dai” day, so I wanted to make a separate post about it!

JT-Performance

As I’ve mentioned before, I did an internship from February till July. This was at a tuning company called JT-Performance, which is also the main dealer of ECU master for the entire BeNeLux (hence why I got an EMU classic). Anyway, a while back they hosted a ‘dyno-day’ for the Supra club, which all the interns were invited to as well. I liked the idea, so I asked the boss if it was possible to host a similar ‘event’ for our little club, which he agreed to!

Fast forward to a few weeks back, when Jamie (@hatzu.the.daihatsu on Instagram) sent me a DM saying he was coming to the Netherlands, and asked if we could meet! I thought it would be nice to make it a meeting with the rest of the Dutch L7 Club, but since I didn’t want to force Jamie to drive to the other side of the country for a meeting, I wanted to host the meet in wherever city/village he was staying in. As it turns out, Jamie was staying in the same village JT-Performance is located!

I saw an awesome opportunity, so I arranged a dyno-day for our club, the same weekend Jamie would be here!

DYNO-DAY

The Boss asked if it was okay if we started at 10, so he could go home a bit earlier, so at exactly 10:27, we started doing dyno runs! To set the bar, I decided to go first. Here’s a clip!

Results were… interesting.

First, I’ll give yousome info:

• After the first pull (the red bar) I removed the air filter because it’s in a terrible place at the moment
  • Fuel is RON 98
  • Stock intake (apart from the air filter missing)
  • Stock Sirion M1 exhaust

Stock, a 3SZ should do 103hp and 132Nm (or 97 bald-eagle-burgers), but somehow it made 119hp and 143,88Nm on its best run. Normally people would be thrilled to see a 15% gain, but I felt like 16hp was way too big of an increase (on a stock engine) to be true.

Graph displays whp/torque

Small comment on the first half of the graph: first there’s a weird peak, I think that might be from when the run started. The engine is held at a constant rpm and then released, which maybe has like an elastic effect (combined with the engine mounts for example). About the dip around 3600rpm: I think this has something to do with the VVT kicking in. When you’re on the road and floor it in, for example, second gear from 2000rpm, you can feel that bump in torque after 3600rpm as well.

Back to the power discussion: notice how the graph ends at around 6900 rpm? I can’t find an official number anywhere, but I believe it’s actully somewhere around 6500rpm. This difference is easily explainable: the dyno needs to be manually calibrated. That means putting the car in the gear you will do the pull in, keeping it at a certain rpm and tell the dyno what that rpm is ( read from the gauge cluster ). If you’re an OG follower of me, you’ll know my car is built from like 8 different Dai’s, so chances are the tacho isn’t reading 100% correctly. Hence, the difference.

Now, since power is a result of torque multiplied by rpm, a higher the rpm (at the same torque) results in more power, and I think that’s what’s happened. An rpm reading higher than it should be, at a given torque. However, I do think it’s possible to get a more plausible number out of the graph. When you’re calibrating the dyno, you’re effectively setting a ratio between the engine rpm and dyno rpm. This means this graph isn’t shifted but at a different ratio. Assuming that the OEM redline is indeed at 6500rpm: (6500/6900)×119 = 112hp. Maybe I’m doing an illegal calculation right here, but at least it’s a bit more plausible. 9 hp is still quite a big difference, but that might be where the air-filter-box-delete and cold room temp come into play (ppartially).

Overal, I think it’s safe to say the engine’s healthy and making well over stock power. Happy days!

I’m really happy and grateful we got to dyno all of our cars today. I think it was a really nice bonus in comparison to the usual meets, and a great way to end the season/year.

9 Likes

That dyno day was the highlight of my year! Thanks again for organizing :smiley:. Great results when it comes to the Blyatsu as well. Even if you do the math with the OEM redline.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I haven’t done anything to the Blyatsu. It’s a mix of still trying to find an internship, not having enough money, not having enough time and just not being able to properly work on the car until the new shed is ready. I put the car in hibernation for now, and decided to just leave things as they are for now. I don’t think there’s a reason to rush things, other than me wanting to get things done. Better to get it done properly than quickly.

I’ll post some footage of the new shed soon, because I promised to do that a while ago but I haven’t shown you anything since :joy:.

A happy 2023 to you all, and let’s hope we’ll be able to build some cool stuff this year :hearts:

5 Likes

Hey fam, still no progress on the car but felt like writing for a bit :slight_smile:
Last week I finished my 7th (out of 8) school semester which was just one giant mess, but I’m happy with the results and just glad it’s over. Usually, the graduation-period (idk what else to call it) starts the week after, which would’ve been yesterday. But since things have been so hectic lately with school, moving and renovation at home, I decided to take ‘a week off’ to be able to prepare myself for the next and (hopefully) final semester, but also to do some fun stuff.

Monday I was actually going to the shed to ‘modify’ a Kallax shelving unit, but as it turned out, my jigsaw wasn’t very good at the sawing bit. However, I was able to clean up a bit which I was very pleased with. I’m especially pleased with the new wheel 'n tire situation!

Idk why but I’m very proud of the way this worked out

Speaking of wheels…

Last month I went a little crazy with wheels, because I picked op 6 wheels I didn’t need #hoarder. On top of that I still had the old tires from Dave, but in the last couple of weeks I just threw it all on the floor and left it. The main problem with the wheels is that they were all a bit odd sized and I couldn’t really fit 2 stacks next to each other.

or could I?

Turns out, the 13" and 14/15" wheels just fit next to each other (the two stacks in the rear), so I was able to make a stack with 13" + space savers and a 15"/14"/15" next to it. It’s a tight fit but it works out perfectly.

*not me who gets distracted *

Although my first goal of the day was to put the Blyatsu on space savers (which semi-didn’t work out), I got curious and started trying stuff. Like I said before, I got 6 wheels (1 set and half a set), so I was curious to see what it would look like on the Blyatsu. Here are the results:

The usual wheel

1 of 2 ATS rims I got for €20. Possibly came from an MK2 VW Scirocco, but couldn’t find a lot of conclusive pictures. They look huge, but are the same spec (6×15) as the wheel above apart from the offset.

Found a full set of TR/Avanzato/Fun wheels, and they look ridiculously small. Tires are shot (my LinkedIn has a better profile than what’s on these tires), they were repainted but prepped poorly, but they were relatively cheap and for sale 2 villages away, so I can’t complain. Kinda want to throw them on Dave, but that means I have to do the whole tire/balance thing again. Maybe respray them and sell them, maybe rip off @marc0tjevp (loveyou) and sell them to him as is, we’ll see

the final form. Not sure if the tires will get a flat spot for sitting this amount of time (I parked before Christmas), but better to be safe than sorry. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any other wheels that would fit the front, so I’ll just make sure to rotate them from time to time and it’ll probably be fine. Can’t put it on jackstands, I need it to be mobile.

:bulb:

Next item on the list was to swap Dave’s taillights as I recently got facelifts but wanted to go back to pre-facelifts. But aye, if tail lights are coming out anyway…

Don’t hate it, but I definitely don’t love it either.

I guess it looks okay, but to me, it’s lost most of its Blyatsu-ness. It also makes the rear look kinda stock so it’s a no for me. Fun fact: I’ve never seen the Blyatsu with these tail lights. It’s an original facelift, but the car got hit in the rear at some point, and they replaced the tail lights with pre-facelift units.

Since I took my :sparkles:special :sparkles: tail lights out, I put them on Dave to see what they’d look like. Annoyingly however…

They’re just cool lights I guess!
After that I just put them back on the Blyatsu and fitted Dave with pre-facelift lights.

This week I’m hoping to work a bit more on the shed and create some usable space, which hopefully motivates me to work on the Blyatsu. Wish me luck!

5 Likes

You better rip me off then :roll_eyes:. Seeing them on a Cuore for realz makes me want them even more.

Dave with those tails though… why does it work so well. I don’t like this. Stop doing weird stuff :joy:.

3 Likes

Dave looked really good with those tail lights! But I agree better on Blyatsu. I guess you could get another pair for dave after ripping of @marc0tjevp :joy: :joy: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’d have to rip him off 3 times… if I’m lucky

2 Likes

hahahaha fair enough

1 Like

[quote=“Blyatsu, post:154, topic:2827”]…Not sure if the tires will get a flat spot for sitting this amount of time…[/quote]I really doubt it. Even if they do, the flat spots eventually even themselves out, once you start driving again

Tires can get “flat” spots if you let them sit for long enough. Those flat spots won’t disappear when driving but only get worse. I have had a couple of customers who had that happen.

This won’t happen within a couple of weeks or even months, at least if you keep the pressure right. If you don’t plan to drive your car for a couple of months I’ll advice to roll it in and out of the parking space once in a while to rotate the tires.

Yeah that’ll probably happen anyway. I just figured “better safe than sorry”