Chazza - L251 Semi track build

I drove it from the end of my street into my driveway. It was ok in that short trip. Haven’t done any other driving in it.

2 Likes

While we’re waiting on a consensus re the engine clean up, I had another 20mins to burn so pulled the passenger side fender off. Hoping it will give better access for the work and I will also fit up a fender brace while it’s off.

I also test fit a rear wing.

4 Likes

what is the wing off?

1 Like

perodua viva. They came with 2 types stock on some of the cars. This is the more aggressive one. It’s just a fibreglass replica.

2 Likes

Sorry for the post spam. Today ended up being more productive than I thought. Got another hour and was able to get most of the front end pulled apart and drained the gearbox oil.

There is one bolt keeping the lower control arm in. It’s undone, but won’t come out without dropping the subframe :roll_eyes:

Just out of interest I put the l251 brakes up against the copen brakes I’m planning to upgrade to

4 Likes

That engine looks dirty AF. Not really sure what the best way of tackling that but i would at least try to clean as much of it of by hand.

I believe that smudge is the sign of a shitty previous owner who hasn’t changed it oil regular.

2 Likes

That triangle looking plug is also unplugged on my L251 on both sides I believe it’s not used or were both missing something haha

2 Likes

Hopefully it’s not something important :rofl:. I assume it’s for fog/driving lights.

1 Like

I found this when I replaced the lca on mine, in the end I gave up and took it to my mechanic because I don’t have a reliable enough jack to be playing with dropping the subframe in my driveway.

3 Likes

I have collected 3 jacks somehow. Hopefully they will be enough :rofl:

3 Likes

Looks like it hasn’t had regular oil changes, that’s what usually causes that sort of sludging, lots of short trips never getting to operating temp could also cause it.
I would carefully clean as much sludge off as you can then get it to operating temp and change the oil and filter then repeat every 1000km for a couple of times, they hold less than 4lts of oil so not all the expensive.

3 Likes

The manual cleaning of sludge how would you go about it? Would I just scrape off what I can or should I go in with degreaser and a toothbrush? A bit of both?

1 Like

I’d just use a rag and a small wire brush, I’d also use a wet vacuum cleaner to pick up what you can’t get with a rag, I wouldn’t use degreaser or any other chemicals

2 Likes

Thanks mate!

1 Like

Remind me tomorrow about gaskets. I think I have an MLS gasket for you and some manifold gaskets.

2 Likes

Went and saw Mr G yesterday. Thanks to the l251 shell that he had I now have a rear wiper:

I was also able to grab some side mirrors from the shell:

While I had the door trim off I also replaced the broken outer handle

5 Likes

And may I pass that “thankyou” onto Jimmy aka Mr Evilhwy as he had gifted the shell to me.

3 Likes

Got another hour. Worked the whole time but felt less productive unfortunately.
Got the left side drive shaft out.

Took out a few things that were in the top side of the engine bay that are in the way of getting the gearbox out and started take apart the driver’s side.

Lastly, put on the washer bottle cap I found online

5 Likes

I must get one of those caps lol

2 Likes

Also need one of the caps haha when I bought that car I was hoping it would have one for my car but it didn’t , did you buy it new or used such a small annoying part to find

2 Likes