Chazza - L251 Semi track build

Great idea! Just waiting on confirmation from Lakeside to be booked in.

2 Likes

Ok, update time. The right lower control arm finally arrived from the UK 3 days ago, and I was also able to get the incorrect left arm replaced. They let me keep the incorrect lower arm. The bushes all look the same, so if someone wants it to try get those new bushes out of it, let me know.

Not a heap has been done the last few weeks. I tried to put on the throw-out bearing on last weekend. I fought with it for about 40mins, with no luck. I will try again this Saturday. These Daihatsu throw-out bearings are the bane of my existence. I remember fighting with the one on my Move for a few days. Maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong?

To help me feel a bit productive I put the new clutch on the engine side, replaced the axle seals on the gearbox, the rear main seal on the engine and chucked on a few L2D stickers:

Hopefully by the end of this Saturday I will have the throw-out bearing done, new control arms put in, the sub frame reattached, the tie rod ends replaced and maybe ever the gearbox back in.
From there we get to the more fun stuff, like the copen brake upgrade and installing coilovers.

5 Likes

Nice work man and I can concur about throw out bearings. I either get them straight away or by day 5 I am nearly committing myself hahaha!

1 Like

Some wins and losses today.
The big win was getting the throw-out bearing on. Got in on in about 5 mins. The secret was having a second pair of hands to help.
I was also able to get the sub frame bolted back up and torqued. While I was at it I also put on the front coilovers and strut mount brace:

Now the loss. I did the final line up of the clutch plate and was tightening down the bolts. Got to the last bolt and it snapped! I really don’t know what happened. I was just doing it up with my ratchet. I didn’t think it was trying to tighten it too much.
Anyway, my mate thinks he can extract it. So he has taken the flywheel and hopefully can get it out. Sigh.
Two steps forward and one step back.

3 Likes

The flywheel went into surgery a few days ago. Dental surgery. My mate that extracted the bolt is a dentist. He took the flywheel into his work. Put the flywheel on the dentist chair and cut a groove using a diamond tipped bone cutting tool, then screwed it out with a screwdriver.

I’ll pick up the flywheel from him in a few days.

Lastly, my wife bought me an early Christmas present:

A pair of magnetic race numbers! Sorry for the bad photo. I was just too excited.

7 Likes

Im so gald you didn’t have 74 as that’s my preferred number lol

1 Like

74 used to be the number I used for everything. No particular reason. That was until our first trackday. You booked with 74 first. So I went 101 (as I was racing a Sirion). I’ve settled on 84 as it’s my birth year.

1 Like

74 is My birth year lol.

1 Like

It’s been a few weeks since an update. I haven’t really had a chance to do anything meaningful, but did properly do up the valve cover and started working on an intake.
This morning I attached the rear wing. It needs to be painted, so I’ll plasti dip it soon.

It’s attached with a mix of 2x bolts and some 3m tape.

The other thing I did today was plasti dip the window frame of the doors. It’s always annoyed me that they are colour coded. I feel like they should be black. So that’s what I did:

I realise plasti dip probably won’t last very long, but I’ll do it properly (maybe) when I have more time.

1 Like

Wing Plasti Dipped

5 Likes

Where did you source this mate?

What brand are the coilovers and where did you source these?

Coilovers:

The spoiler was sourced through Nik from NMF Garage.

1 Like

Name change for the project. Trinky wasn’t really sticking. After much soul searching I have settled on Chazza.

3 Likes

Much better.

1 Like

every charade I have had is chazza lol.

2 Likes

I figured every Charade (expect CherRADe) has been called Chazza. But it’s what we’ve been calling it at home. So, it’s sticking.

1 Like

I guess we have twins then lol

1 Like

Car names are funny huh…

We have a Nissan pathfinder 2004 model, it’s slow and very very thirsty so I started calling it a canyanaro… The name has more then stuck in that my kids don’t remember what model it actually is :joy:

3 Likes

Got that gearbox back into Chazzanator yesterday arvo. Also got a few of the things like the starter motor and etc back on. Will make sure it’s all tightened up and a few other parts are back on today. All the other things to go back on should be much easier than getting the gearbox back in.

4 Likes