The build thread of Awsten

I did the excel shocks in the trxx they went well :joy:
Maybe I should revisit that

2 Likes

Details on the exhaust? I’m planning the one on mine and just seeing what you went with.

Re suspension, it depends what you are after. I got my coilovers from Japan. But there are probably some good springs and shock for relatively cheap from Malaysia for the Perodua Viva.

1 Like

It is just something a mate whacked together, it is from downpipe back 2 inch with a single muffler in the middle.
it is too big for the engine and quite droning, I am not sure once new engine goes in it might be a bit quieter thanks to the turbo however with the drop in capacity I might need to get it remade smaller, time will tell for now having the lol’s of a EJ-DE on full throttle

As for suspension, I was looking at suspension kits for Perodua Viva, some of it is silly cheap but I have not been able to find somewhere to post it to Australia, if you know of a site that would be great.

ETA on engine is around 12-20 weeks
ETA on Momo wheel is around 8 weeks

I am also looking at wheels at the moment, I found a set I like 13x5.5 but I am assuming they will poke too much for the little L251?

1 Like

I’ve used NMF Garage as a middle man to get stuff sent from Malaysia. Message him on FB. He usually responds quickly.

Re the exhaust, I think the 2inch would be fine for the turbo engine. Considering the best exhaust for a turbo car is no exhaust, 2 inch might even be too small.

Cheers I’ll message them now.

Just to chime in here, I have a 2" exhaust on my M100 Sirion KE-VE2 and it is LOUD. I’ve got one small resonator in the system and a muffler insert and its just about OK. If you’re getting a custom exhaust made up on a NASP Daihatsu then get the builder to put in either one big, or preferably two small resonators.

Ok so in the mail I have a Momo streeting wheel coming along with a low km EF-DET.

Now I am deciding on what to do with suspension I have a few other questions.

What seats can we bolt into the L251? I am not interested in Sirion seats as they don’t really offer much over the stock. Some nice TRXX seats perhaps? does anyone know if they use the same rails? something from another car?

The EF-DET I have purchased is an auto, so will be making it manual, hoping to utilize the gearbox I have with the EJ-DE, does anyone know what the working combination will be here? What flywheel, clutch etc?

Finally I am still looking for a wiring diagram for the EF-DET if anyone has one that would be great.

1 Like

your ejde flywheel clutch etc should do just fine I would imagine. The efdet ones are pretty much Identical in appearance to the L7\L251 gearbox’s.
As for wiring I presume you have got the auto ecu (presuming you got an ecu with it) You would just need to work out how to makesure the ecu thinks the imaginary auto is in Nuetral. Other than that I will say you may find its plug and play. The efdet I have is in an L200 that was converted for ejde and it literally uses the 2 plugs for it with one missing and the other little plug from the efdet loom (green to blue) just needs some power to it from memory but the L251 has that plug so it may be as simple as plugging it in. When I was looking for efdet wiring the best I got was people linking to ejde pin outs and telling me they used that sooooo…

1 Like

I know its not much help but that is minean yes it is in the engine bay as I wanted easy access until I knew it ran ok.

This pic doesn’t really help but the other little plug I spoke of was cut off and wired into this on the L200. On the L251 you should have the plug that it will plug straight into.

1 Like

I found some more ecu pics I had. I hope it may help but doubt it lol
This is the other plug I was talking bout mine was green but I believe that can be blue also.

here are the other pics

1 Like

Legend!!

Thank you sir

2 Likes

Not sure about seats that bolt straight in, but I got a frame from Malaysia and bolted a SAAS seat for mine.

I would love to hear how you go with the EF-DET. I’m trying to figure out what will be the best option for me engine wise for mine.

1 Like

So during the week I had some deliveries

Also during the week I picked up a couple of seats for $100 each, few marks on them but cleaned up pretty good.

So today I got around to fitting the seats

Pulled out the og seats and it was pretty filthy inside the old Mira

Got stuck in and cleaned carpet best I could without removing it and then installed the seats

Next week I’ll try sort out getting the suspension in

4 Likes

They look awesome! Steering wheel in next!

1 Like

It’s on the way from Japan!

2 Likes

The Momo wheels feel so much better to use than the stock ones. Pretty easy swap. Reach out if you have any questions about the swap.

1 Like

So today I got around to fitting the rear suspension, need to find my spring compressors to do the front.

Comparison between old and new

Fitted

Overall pretty happy with them though a tad stiffer then I had hoped

And here is a photo test fitting some wheels I picked up

That’s it for now :+1:

6 Likes

Well today I got out to try the front suspension and hit a road block.

I purchased this as a pair for front and back, the hear suspensions worked bit the front is a no go.

Stock shock

Side by side comparison

I pulled off stock strut top and tried to put new shock together (with some redback eggs included for extra kw)

Thoughts? @Mr_Gormsby you might have some incite?

Maybe I will have to run stock spring?

I am having thoughts maybe I cocked up the rear with the fronts

I did initially attempt fitting the other set in the rear but it didn’t seem to line up on the rubbers correctly even when compressing the arm with a jack, switching to the longer springs it all seemed perfect so installed them and it’s lowered the car quite a bit…

But after attempting the front I don’t think it’s correct

It looks like the correct spring. Would it be ok once the shock compresses down a bit?