The build thread of Awsten

This is what I found years ago with some Malaysian springs I got for L200, I had some spacer cups I used from my swift to take up the extra room. which really only made them the same height.
A way to make them captive (dodgey but works) is drill out the strut top so the top hat will go down to the spring and then use washer’s or some metal pipe over the protruding shock sticking through the top of the strut top. Then bolt it down but you will have to grip the shock somehow to stop it spinning when tightening. Hopefully it doesn’t interfere with the bonnet etc. if you do this

1 Like

You could try the stock spring. It will be a better rate. My solution would be to pull the internals out cut the lower spring seat, reinstall it not welded on and with no spring, wheels on, check clearance while jacking up and down through it’s suspension travel and some maths to see where the spring seat might work such that it had bump and droop. Can be quite a bit of mucking around. It might end up 20-30mm lower. Just try the stock spring and see how it sits. There are other solutions like remaking a top spring seat.

1 Like

[quote=“FrAsErTaG, post:58, topic:5782”]
…I purchased this as a pair for front and back…
[img}https://livetodai.com/uploads/default/optimized/3X/a/9/a97630cfec851a8a283d02b7436db3486fa3259c_2_375x500.jpeg[/img]
[/quote] Those appear to be struts with replaceable inserts, like I’ve first seen used on earlier Volkswagen Golfs. If they actually aren’t, are there dies available for cutting threads on original struts for inserting after-market replacements into them?

Thanks for the replies guys

I am still working but hoping to get outside again and check the rear

I installed the ones in the above picture on the left in the rear, potentially got it arse about?

I got confirmation from the supplier on markings, definitely the longer ones go in the rear, I learnt this after my own findings

Correct rear

Incorrect rear

Putting the longer on the front is not possible

Stock spring will have to do for now

1 Like

This has inspired me to finally go out and put my sirion front strut’s and springs in my L251. I will do that today. I will take some pics of the struts side by side to show the differences between them and will show them installed if they fit. The problem I may have is that the sirion springs are much wider than the L700 but the struts and spring seats should be approximately the same height! Will report back soon. ( I am not doing a build thread for My L251 as I will be selling it next year and it really is just a stock hack for local driving).

2 Likes

I have put in the sirion front shocks and springs and taken it for a drive. Here are some pics of the differences and the lowered ride height in the front. It drives much better too.

This is the ride height from from stock. Going from ground to top of wheel arch going through the middle of the wheel. (concrete floor)

Visual differences

measured height differences

Final height differences after being installed in the car and taken for a drive.

1 Like

Next I have put in L200 rear springs. I have yet to take it for a drive and will so soon. In theory these should be lower also.

The ones on the left are L200.

I forgot to measure the height before and after with these but they actually look like they had raised the rear about 10mm .
I guess being the thicker springs out of the 2 they do not compress as much as the saggy stock L251 springs.

I did cut off a little of the bump stops too as this always bottomed out when putting anything in the back.

Ok I am going to go take it for a spin and see if they settle a little more and if they are terrible I will go back to the stock saggy ones. This is just for a run around hack so no need for performance and handling or expensive stuff for this thing.

Edit: Took for a drive and very happy with result.

4 Likes

Cheers for that Jimmy

Them front shocks look similar to the length of the ones I put in, I should get out and run a tape over them

The photo they are not side by side sadly but you can see the new ones are a bit shorter, even with the stock spring it has dropped the front a little.

3 Likes

Well it’s been a couple weeks of driving around now and I think it was a blessing in disguise the lowered front springs didn’t suit because I am really happy with how the car is sitting while driving (it doesn’t look “slammed”) but it’s a nice spot between firm and drivable daily.

My engine is in Melbourne, awaiting importer to sort out delivery.

4 Likes

Keen to see how the engine swap goes!

1 Like

So on the weekend I picked up steering wheel and the down pipe for the new engine.

Today I tested out a $20 Temu kit for the headlights, I’m not totally happy with it, I think the sandpaper grade of 800 could have been a lower number to start with considering how yellow my lights were, I might redo them in future starting at 400-600-800-1200-2000

Never the less they have come up better then previously

5 Likes

another trick also is paint thinners. However they did come up pretty good :slight_smile:

So today I installed the new wheel I got, thanks to @b_hoves for the guidance.

Moved the airbag charge to new wheel

Fitted

It is so much nicer to hold then the original

4 Likes

The wood looks amazing. Kinda sad I didn’t get it myself.

that looks really good :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s really nice in the hand and it has finger grooves

4 Likes

So my engine has been sitting down in Melbourne for a while now… My wonderful wife had some time off work and completed a 1600km trip (overnight) in an EV to collect it

4 Likes

So today I got a crane and then pulled the engine out of the transport vehicle, I could have lifted it out with a mate but figured I need the crane anyway so no point potentially hurting myself

I picked up a new oem clutch the other day and I still have some gaskets to sort out, fluids to buy.

I am aiming to do the transplant over the Christmas break, @evilhighway I noticed a few vacumr lines have been cut so when I get some time will take some photos and chase you for direction from your engine.

5 Likes

no problems at all mate looks like it will be a fun Christmas